Thursday 6 September 2012

TV Show: Dallas


The Ewings are back!

Following an amazing gap of 21 years, Patrick Duffy, Linda Grey and Larry Hagman return to their roles as Bobby, Sue –Ellen and J.R respectively.

The world is a different place since Dallas’ previous 13 year stint ended and this is reflected in the show. Bobby is happy breeding cattle on Southfolk and J.R languishes in a nursing home suffering with clinical depression. Meanwhile J.R’s long-suffering ex-wife Sue- Ellen is running for political office.

The oil business wheeling and dealing is now done between the younger generation of Ewings. Bobby’s son Christopher is investing in alternative energy while J.R Jr.  follows in his Father’s footsteps by attempting to locate a new source of oil.

In a TV & movie market saturated with re-makes and re-boots it’s very refreshing to see original characters, played by the same actors, brought into a current setting.

Dallas has enduring appeal, thanks largely to the lack of choice available when it first aired, and the team behind this version have shown guts and guile by employing a strategy aimed at attracting both old and new fans. The series also promises cameo appearances by other original cast members.

This is a must-see for anyone who saw the original show and an interesting alternative US drama for those bored with formulaic detective type series.

Look out for show-stealing 80 year-old Larry Hagman’s name when it’s TV awards time.

Dallas is currently showing on Channel 5 in the UK.

Ric’s Rating: Highly Recommended.           

4 comments:

  1. I love this show. I was a huge fan when I was kid. I used to sneak and watch it when my parents went bowling on Friday nights. Who shot JR was the talk of my sixth grade class. I admire the way the new writing team has remained true to the original and yet, brought in a ton of new flash and drama to keep the Ewings clashing with each other and their enemies.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fond memories Melissa. I too was too young to be watching but I remember loads of it pretty clearly. The new version is off to a great start.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really love this movie Dwayne Johnson is one of my favorite star. I never missed to watch his movie. Recently I am waiting for his new sci-fi action movie Rampage. I Watch Movies Online
    movie trailer on YouTube it was more than I expected.

    ReplyDelete
  4. TV Season Spoilers Thanks for a very interesting blog. What else may I get that kind of info written in such a perfect approach? I’ve a undertaking that I am simply now operating on, and I have been at the look out for such info.

    ReplyDelete

Let me know what you think. I value all comments and fully intend to reply.