Thursday 8 September 2011

DVD: My Best Enemy



As Nazi Germany attempts to annex Austria two childhood friends, one a Jew and one a German, find themselves on opposite sides.


Rudi (Georg Friedrich) has grown up as a close friend of the Kauffman family, who own an art gallery in Vienna , but he has always secretly envied Victor (Moritz Bleibtreu). Privy to the Kauffman’s secrets Rudi soon makes the encroaching Nazis aware of a valuable artefact in their possession and the family is soon captured.


What follows is a powerful and clever drama that should have merited a UK cinema release, just when you think you know what’s going to happen it veers off in another direction whilst always maintaining its credibility.


It’s a Count Of Monte Cristo type tale of betrayal and revenge set in one of history’s darkest times but it’s told in a fresh style with fantastic performances from the two leading characters, it even manages one or two moments of humour.


The film is in German with English subtitles but please don’t let that put you off, it’s a cracker. I’ve included the German poster as it better reflects the film, the UK DVD cover would make you think that this is all about airplane battles, which isn’t the case at all.


My Best Enemy is released on DVD in the UK on 12th September 2011.

Ric’s Rating: 89%

8 comments:

  1. It's top quality stuff Alex.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I always loved Moritz Bleibtreu! My fav German actor beside Til Schweiger, Benno Furman and Thomas Kretschman.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds pretty cool, two opposites friends on different sides with action.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think it'll be up your street Michael.
    Dez, Moritz is fantastic in this, I'd like to see more of his films.
    Zena, yep it's a familiar story (I'm thinking North & South as well as The Count Of Monte Cristo) but it has some cool original twists.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'd watch it only for that Bleibtreu guy. What a fantastic pair of lips on that man. I'm kind of very tired of WW2 movie, but anything for Morlipz

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'll have to keep this on my radar, it looks really good.

    ReplyDelete

Let me know what you think. I value all comments and fully intend to reply.