Friday 2 October 2009

Films: Top Films of 2005

As this is a new blog I'll include some retrospective lists so here is the first.
2005 was a pretty good year for films and here are my top picks.
They are in order of merit and should all be available cheap on DVD.
Each one is a worthy addition to any collection.

THE JACKET
Adrian Brody in this highly original psychological thriller.

KUNG FU HUSTLE
Stephen Chow’s excellent martial arts mayhem movie.

THE EXORCISM OF EMILY ROSE
A rare thing nowadays. A horror film that’s actually scary.

CRASH
Ensemble piece dealing with racial tension.

CINDERELLA MAN
Russell Crowe gives another powerhouse performance as boxer Jim Braddock.

STANDER
Thomas Jane plays the real life cop turned criminal.

ONG – BAK
Excellent showcase for the amazing skills of Tony Jaa as he sets out to retrieve a stolen ancient statue.

5 X 2
French film about the breakdown of a marriage. Told in reverse.

SIN CITY
Dark comic adaptation starring Bruce Willis, Mickey Rourke and Clive Owen.

THE 40 YEAR OLD VIRGIN
Very funny comedy about a late developer.

2 comments:

  1. I like Thomas Jane. He was great in Hung. Wasnt so keen on The Punisher but not because of Janes ability as an actor. I thought he did the antihero very well.So, on your recommendation, I am going to borrow Stander from a mate I know who has it. Thanks, Ricky

    ReplyDelete
  2. Stander falls into my Hidden Gems category of films, I'm sure you'll like it. More to come on Hidden Gems in further blog posts.

    ReplyDelete

Let me know what you think. I value all comments and fully intend to reply.