Wednesday 10 November 2010

TV Show: The Walking Dead



The hook here is that this is a tv series based around the typical horror film premise of a handful of survivors battling against huge numbers of shuffling zombies.

Sceptical? Me too but I was sufficiently impressed to make a point of catching episode 2.

There was nothing new here (is there ever?) and most of the pilot episode felt like the opening scenes of 28 Days Later with Andrew Lincoln replacing Cillian Murphy as the man who wakes up in hospital to an entirely new world.

Lincoln himself is pretty impressive and his American accent is spot-on. The rest of the cast (including Prison Break's Sarah Wayne Callies) didn't have much to do but are sure to feature more as Lincoln's character searches for his family while fighting off the brain-munching masses.

The effects here are as good as and even better than some zombie movies but with Frank "The Shawshank Redemption" Darabont on board I expected a bit more. Hopefully it'll pick up.

Ric's Rating: 58%

11 comments:

  1. I love this series!! can't wait for the second season already.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmmm,I'll need to see more before I'm convinced.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I totally agree with everything you've said. We've seen it all before, so hopefully something with the storyline changes up soon!... and I'm wondering how they'll continue with a show like this. Where do you go from where they're at already?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Colton,
    There's bound to be some tension when he finally catches up with the wife and ex-partner but do we really need soap opera storylines in a zombie thriller?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree with your comments about the similarity to the opening scene of 28 days later. It was almost identical. I thoroughly enjoyed the first episode and I just hope that they can maintain that level of interest for several weeks given that zombies are just zombies and dont actually do much other than walk slowly and eat anyone who cant outrun them.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Tom,
    2 episodes in and I'm sticking with my 58% rating. Ep2 consisted mainly of scenes from Dawn Of The Dead and Shaun Of The Dead.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'd personally give 90% to the first episode :) I liked that the two hour premiere was slow and extremely atmospheric. What made it different and better than any other zombie project we've seen so far was exactly the absence of too much action. It was about the atmosphere, about being lost, and about building up the humane side of the main hero. A really profound drama at some points.
    The second episode was a bit weaker. Being just dynamic action, but it was also quite good. I hope the show won't turn into just a mindless bloodshed later on.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm really enjoying it so far. As long as it doesn't deteriorate into too much melodrama, I'll keep watching. Still amazes me how much gore is in the show!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Guys,
    I can't help feeling it's all been done better before in the likes of 28 Days Later and The Crazies but I will stick with it. I have a French zombie dvd called The Horde that I plan to watch soon so fingers crossed for that.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I loved this, but I know what you mean about the similarities with 28 days later (and a few others). Anything with zombies gets my vote :-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Joanne,
    Looks like I'm in the minority thinking it's just a bit dull. 28 Days Later has to be my fave zombie film.

    ReplyDelete

Let me know what you think. I value all comments and fully intend to reply.