Monday 5 September 2011

Book: The Misunderstood and other Misfit Horrors by Jason Brannon



This short story collection from the author of Winds Of Change (see review elsewhere here) consists of nine eerie tales featuring an eclectic cast of characters.

There is an Angel after offerings of blood, an eccentric collector of clocks, babies that can predict the future and creepy scarecrows that may not be what they seem.

We start of with the nightmarish Beware The Death Angel in which town newcomers prepare for a sinister local tradition. The stories then vary in content and length ending with the fantastic The Misunderstood in which a farmer attempts to protect his land from a supernatural beast.

This is the first time I’ve read a short story collection but it’s something I’ve been meaning to try for a while and this is the right place to start for anyone partial to some short sharp doses of horror. Each one is highly entertaining and the whole collection creates a cool otherworldly feeling that I’d have been happy to wallow in for a bit longer as a couple of the tales felt a little too short. Many could have been expanded and perhaps that’s something the author will consider. Failing that I’d be more than happy with another volume to add to this collection of wonderfully dark misfits.

Ric’s Rating: 74%

4 comments:

  1. Mark Ramprastache6 September 2011 at 13:30

    I really like the look of this one. And thank you so much, Rick, for judging me as the prizewinner. Cawwwwwr, I can't wait for it! As Sid James himself might have said. Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's a cool read Mark and I hope you enjoy the prize.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The cover is cool and I always enjoy eerie stories! I love your reviews, straight to the point! :P

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Zena, I'm sure you'd enjoy this one.

    ReplyDelete

Let me know what you think. I value all comments and fully intend to reply.