Friday 18 February 2011

DVD: Dying Breed


Leigh Whannell the co-writer and star of the original Saw movie heads the cast of this 2008 Australian horror.

Eight years ago Nina’s sister died while attempting to find evidence that the long extinct Tasmanian Tiger still exists. Now her and her friends set out with the same purpose and inevitably run into the same trouble.

This is the age old story of big city kids in Hillbilly Land but it’s very well executed.

The characters are believable and all the performances are good.

It gets a bit silly towards the end as the killer is revealed but then we are treated to a squirm inducing final scene which makes up for any shortcomings.

Recommended for fans of Friday the 13th, Deliverance, Wrong Turn and any other “lost in the woods” type horror.
Ric's Rating: 74%

5 comments:

  1. Not a big fan of those types of movies, but worth a NetFlix rental. Do they ever find the tigers?

    ReplyDelete
  2. You'll have to check it out and see Alex....

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! Sad to say that I never even heard of that! I think I'll rent this or track it down and see if it can inspire me! (don't be afraid, I have a murder blog) lol

    ReplyDelete
  4. I saw this On Demand this month. It just seems like the type of film I have seen a dozen times, but I might check it out.

    ReplyDelete
  5. There are a few grisly murders Cat but maybe not too inspiring!

    Geof, there are one or two nice touches, it's better than a lot of these movies.

    ReplyDelete

Let me know what you think. I value all comments and fully intend to reply.