Monday 17 October 2011

Film: Real Steel



It’s Rocky with robots as former boxer Charlie (Hugh Jackman) trains a machine rescued from the junkyard to go for the title.

Charlie lives a hand to mouth lifestyle so when his estranged son needs looking after he sees this as a big inconvenience.

Inevitably the pair bond through the rescue and training of their robot, Atom. They decide to use real life boxing techniques and a flamboyant style to make Atom stand out from the crowd. It works, as Atom is soon propelled to the big league of robot boxing. But can the re-engineered pile of scrap metal mix with the sophisticated top level fighting machines?

This has echoes of another Stallone flick, the largely forgotten arm-wrestling tale Over The Top. The Father & Son relationship here is very similar, as is the road trip type environment. Jackman is his usual watchable self and Dakota Goyo provides adequate support as the boy desperate for his Father’s affection. Atom too is very likable, the junkyard scene where he is discovered provides one of the films highlights and it left me keen to find out about his origins. Sequel perhaps?

It’s cheesy, predictable and sentimental……..but bloody good fun.

Ric’s Rating: 76%

10 comments:

  1. I'm okay with cheesy fun. :)

    I'm watching it this Thursday, and I'm quite excited about it. Judging from the awesome trailer, I expected to be a lot of fun.

    Thanks for the nice review. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks George. I'll look forward to hearing what you think of it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's a feel-good film Alex.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's an avalanche of positive comments and reviews on this film all around the net in last few days :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dez, it's a film that anyone who enjoys underdog stories will like.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You liked it? Now I'll have to make sure I rent it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Let me know what you think when you do see it Jennifer.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Just posted my review of it. I absolutely loved it, even if it was a bit too predictable. I gave it a 7.75/10, which is basically the same rating as yours :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Glad you enjoyed it George. Heading over to read your review now...

    ReplyDelete

Let me know what you think. I value all comments and fully intend to reply.