Friday 20 April 2012

Film: Sometimes They Come back



Recently released on DVD in the UK this 1991 shocker is based on a story by horror guru Stephen King.

Tim Matheson stars as a schoolteacher who returns to his childhood hometown and quickly realises that tragic events from the past have returned to wreak havoc on his new life and family.

The bullies who cased the death of his brother (Chris Demetral from the brilliant 90’s tv comedy Dream On) have somehow returned from the dead and are masquerading as students in his class.

I actually saw this on VHS back in the early nineties and it holds up reasonably well.
Matheson gives a terrific performance as the tormented adult who still grieves for his big brother and some genuinely touching moments help this rise above the mostly shoddy material.

Ric’s Rating: Good

2 comments:

  1. First off, I don't ever expect much from movies based on SK books. They rarely seem to transfer the feeling I got from his incredible writing, to the screen. I haven't seen this before, but I might check it out, based on your review.
    Secondly, I haven't commented too much here, but I do read almost all of your posts. I'll start doing it more, because I think you are one of the best "reviewers" out there...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Pat, that's much appreciated and I totally agree about King adaptations.

    ReplyDelete

Let me know what you think. I value all comments and fully intend to reply.